Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Early Beginnings - Knights of the Eclipse

Alright, time for my first post. This one's a huge blast from the past for me, since these guys were the first 40k models I ever painted, back in 2009. I played Warhammer fantasy back in 2004, but that lasted for maybe a week, so I don't count it. Here's the first three.



As I'm sure you can see, they're not much to look at. No shading work, caked paint, poor basing and sloppy brushwork. This is what should be expected when you first start. Expect this to be the best that can be done for quite a while; it took months before I got past this stage. With that said, the process is fun, so I don't want it to sound all bad.

The big issue here was experience and a lack of materials. I only really had a basic basing brush to use for the whole model, and shading was a completely unknown concept to me. You'd be amazed what a couple layers of really thinned down paint or ink can do to create depth in models. 

The best advice I can give beginners is the same advice most hobbyists will give you early on: THIN. YOUR. PAINTS. For the first year of painting I never thinned a single one of my paints. I didn't think there would be a difference; as long as I was careful with the paint application, there shouldn't be any problems. I WAS WRONG. Without thinning, the paint gets caked on, streaks, and overall makes the finished product look shoddy. That is the first, and my intention is for it to be the last, time I mention paint thinning. Everyone will tell you to do it, and it doesn't need to be repeated. From here on out, it's a given that it should be done almost every single time.

No comments:

Post a Comment